Prizes and Awards Campaign Ideation and Documentary Filmmaker
Treasure Earth is pleased to announce the appointment of Rebecca Lynes as Prizes and Awards Campaign Ideation and Documentary Filmmaker effective 10 May 2020. Rebecca recently graduated as MPhil (Master of Philosophy) in Film and Screen Studies with Distinction from Cambridge University. She specialised in documentary filmmaking, examining the use of virtual reality in humanitarian campaign works with her thesis: “Managing the ‘Empathy Machine’: Virtual Reality as a Responsible Journalistic Tool” which examined humanitarian communication theory in order to assess the validity and ethical implications of the claim that VR can elicit a special sense of empathy in the viewer. Her research required strong knowledge of journalistic practice, editorial guidelines, formal features of VR and the implications of creative decisions concerning them.
After graduating, Rebecca wrote on film for curation service Filmatique and at film festivals including War on Screen before turning her focus to practical videography skills, currently working with the LGBTQ+ Cam at Cambridge and ReproSoc lecture series managing and recording panel discussions, interviews, and covering events.
As a Barbican Young Visual Artist 2019-20 she is also in the process of planning and executing an exhibition at the Barbican featuring her work on technology and its implications for our political and economic systems.
MPhil (Masters of Philosophy) Film and Screen Studies University of Cambridge, United Kingdom Graduated July 2019 Distinction
Cambridge VR/AR Society – Business and Development Manager
– Secured a grant from British Petroleum
– Organised and hosted the first ‘VR in Media’ symposium at which she presented her research and chaired a panel discussion
– Ran a series of immersive filmmaking workshops
Murray Edwards College MCR – Arts Secretary
– Campaigned for and led the renovation of the abandoned ‘Coach House’ into a space for the arts
– Auditioned and programmed music acts for the MEGP
– Organised and hosted LGBTQ+ social and arts events
– Fundraised for Murray Edwards to narrow the gender gap in new technology for women’s colleges
ADC Theatre – VR Consultant
– Advised theatre directors on the integration of VR elements in their productions, including Magnet Rose (June 2019, ADC Theatre)
– Filmed rehearsals in 360° to create immersive experiences of dramatic productions
– Volunteer videographer for comedy nights in aid of the Syrian refugee crisis
BA (Hons) English Language and Literature University College London, – Graduated June 2018 First Class Hons
– Film correspondent for SAVAGE Arts Journal
– UCL Film Society’s FemFilm Director, 2018 (annual all-female film production program)
– Received letters of commendation for quality of tutorial essays every year
– Silver Arts Award; Motet Choir; awards for highest attainment in English and Photography
The valued skills set that Becca brings to Treasure Earth complements the existing team perfectly and will play a major role in the creative success of our projects, Prizes and Awards and contribute significantly to the Treasure Earth challenge addressing major global challenges of the 21st century to resolve global conflict and global warming by championing CSR and humanitarian care and with a special focus on youth.